Thursday, March 5, 2009

Headlines:

  • Exclusive: Lawyer says Guantanamo abuse worse since Obama

"Here they also sold bridles, saddles and shoes for religious men," says Afram Hussein al Fufuli, 69, concluding my history lesson. My translator-colleague and I had been directed to Fufuli by a younger bookseller up the street, who had called him "the dictionary." In his brown blazer and sweater, Fufuli did indeed have a professorial air. Framed by dusty stacks of books tall as himself (between Arabic volumes: John Le Carre, Macroeconomic Theory, Richard Nixon's Leaders), he conducted slow business out of a small brick storefront which, he said, his father opened in 1930.

Fufuli described how, when the car bomb exploded nearby, all his books were knocked down and his metal gate was twisted. "Thanks to God, I was away from the shop at the time." After that, for a while, the street was deserted. The explosion killed 38, and was a well-documented tragedy. READ MORE

In a statement read to the media in central|London. Mr Mohamed said: "I have been through an experience that I never thought to encounter in my darkest nightmares.

"Before this ordeal, torture was an abstract word to me. I could never have imagined that I would be its victim.

"It is still difficult for me to believe that I was abducted, hauled from one country to the next, and tortured in medieval ways - all orchestrated by the United States government."READ MORE

-mr

No comments:

Post a Comment